Hello from Katie at www.ratemyplacement.co.uk
Last week we had five new placement students start at RMP so I thought it would be topical for some top tips on starting a placement!
- Wear comfortable clothes. The last thing you want is to be sat at your desk worrying about how snug that pencil skirt is or a shirt that you can’t breathe in!
- Give yourself plenty of time to arrive to the office. You don’t want to have to run down the street like a mad lunatic then be dripping with sweat – make sure it’s a leisurely stroll to work.
- Don’t spend time on YouTube or Facebook – you’re there to work so don’t be caught by the director looking at your friend’s holiday pictures or the latest Beyonce video!
- Clear up after yourself – wash up your mug etc. You don’t want to be known as the mucky pup of the office.
- Be enthusiastic and friendly. First impressions count and you don’t want people to think you’re a miserable person who never cracks a smile. Don’t be afraid to say hello to people either, even if it is the owner…everyone is human!
- Be sociable, if the office is going for drinks – make sure you go along! It’s important to chat to people out of the office and get to know people.
- Be yourself! Don’t put on an act as you won’t be able to keep it up for a year. You got hired for being you.
- Don’t be scared to ask any questions, no question is a silly question and the company appreciates you asking. It is a new job and there will be a lot you won’t know.
Good luck in your first few days of placement!
Katie – www.ratemyplacement.co.uk