Tips for getting the most out of Employability Week
- Check out what’s happening in your school – every school is putting on a fantastic range of events. Keep an eye on the University Events Calendar for events, and look out for publicity within your school.
- Check out other schools’ events! Some events are university-wide, so ask your friends what their schools are putting on, and look at the University Events Calendar for events marked as open to all.
- Meet employers and find out about graduate jobs and grad schemes. The Careers Fair offers you the chance to meet over 80 organisations, so grab the chance and dress to impress, research the opportunities on offer, and ask questions. Take along some copies of your CV (see point 4!) or personal business cards so that they have your details.
- Get feedback on your CV at a drop-in session – either at the Careers and Employability Service, or at one of the drop-ins across campus during the week.
- Start thinking about your career – even if you’re in your first year, the time is now to start thinking and building up your work experience. Want to work in finance? Prioritise finding a part-time job in a bank or accountancy firm. No job available? Ask if you can shadow someone for a day, do it and put that on your CV. The next time you apply for a job, you already have more experience!
- Come and talk to the Careers and Employability Service team – we will be at most events during the week, so please do come and speak to us! Have a quick query? We’re more than happy to help.