Having graduated with a degree in Marketing management almost three years ago, I think it is safe to say I have gained a lot of experience in a short space of time. Immediately after graduating, I was employed by a large national mobile phone retailer, specialising in digital marketing at their head office. After one year I was sadly made redundant and made the decision to move onto a large international marketing agency. After another year I moved out of this role and now work in digital marketing at the head office of a designer menswear company. I believe that my position within the marketing agency really shaped my career and I am now keen to express the pros and cons to those considering working in a large agency of any sort.
- Working in a large agency means you get to work alongside a wide range of highly experienced individuals from whom you can learn so much.
- You often get chance to present and pitch to clients and potential clients. Whilst this can be daunting, it really pushes you out of your comfort zone meaning you build on presenting, communication and confidence.
- Meeting so many new people, both internal and external means you make some great connections for your future career.
- Working with many different businesses gave me experience in a wide range of industries.
- My time was carefully divided up between clients and this was great in terms of having a clear, structured day. I was able to transfer these organisational skills to my new role.
- High turnover of staff and people moving around the business meant I never had a regular desk which made it difficult to concentrate and be productive.
- I often had to commute to our other offices and visit clients in their own head office which can be time consuming and tiring.
- Working on a number of different accounts meant I sometimes didn’t get to see a task from start to finish and couldn’t delve as deeply into each task as I would have liked to.
- Such a strict schedule meant I had little time for personal development.
So there you have it. It is important to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of a role in a large international agency so that you are not heading into it blind (which is what I did) Your personality and work style is really important when considering if this kind of company is for you.
– Guest Blog by Samantha Condliffe – Digital Marketing Exec at Infinities.